|Surface Properties and Long-term Performance of Polymeric Insulating Materials for Outdoor Use|
|Investigating R&D Committee on Surface Properties and Long-term Performance of Polymeric Insulating Materials for Outdoor Use|
|Application of polymeric insulators has been expanded in the field of power supply and distribution system all over the world. Compared to porcelain insulators, however, polymeric insulators have been demanded to solve the challenging subjects on a long-term reliability and diagnosis techniques in the real application field. In 2006, the investigation committee started to clarify the relation between surface properties and long-term performance of polymeric insulating materials. Several kinds of plate type specimens made of silicone rubber were shared to the members, and time variation of surface hydrophobicity, discharge phenomena and degradation properties of the materials were investigated using their own advancing measurement techniques.
The main subjects of the investigation committee were as follows,
1. Relation between hydrophobicity and discharge phenomena, and degradation of polymeric insulating materials for outdoor use.
2. Evaluation of time variation of hydrophobicity of silicone rubbers.
3. Surface properties and electrically induced degradation in service conditions.
4. Artificial aging test methods for evaluation of long-term reliability.
5. Functional and dielectric properties of polymeric insulating materials.
©2007. The Institute of Electrical Engineers of Japan